This morning, I checked my WhatsApp and it's not working. Oh No! What happened. I just found a screen displaying this note -
This version of WhatsApp became obsolete on 24-December-2015. Please go to Google Play Store to download the latest version.
Your device's date is 26-December-2015. If this is incorrect please correct your device's date settings then restart WhatsApp.
Are you also facing the same problem and want a counter solution for this?
Well first of all, you don't need to worry about anything. To improve more user experience and performance, WhatsApp regularly update their app and after some time, old versions become obsolete i.e. your access to messages is stopped completely. In this situation, you need to download the latest version from Google Play or Apple Store. To do so -
- Simply click the download button available at the bottom of screen.
- This will redirect you to the Google Play or Apple Store from where you can download the latest version.
Use WhatsApp in obsolete version by changing date
It is clearly mentioned in message that if your device has incorrect date, you can change it to continue use WhatsApp. We will make use of this key to unblock and access our messages. Simply follow these instructions -
- Go to Settings.
- Now scroll down and click "Date & time".
- Here you'll find "Automatic date & time" option. Check whether it is turned ON or OFF. If it is ON, un-tick the button next to it to turn it OFF. After this, you can make manual changes as per your choice.
- From same window, click "Set date" option and a pop-up box will appear.
- Select any date you want and click "OK" button.
- Now restart your phone and open WhatsApp. Boom! You have done it. Enjoy using your outdated version.
How to choose perfect date?
In above 5th step, you have to manually set your system date which in turn will make WhatsApp to work properly. While choosing it, you've to keep three key rules in mind. All of them are listed below -
- Choose any date before the day your WhatsApp version became obsolete. In my case, I can choose anyone before 24-December-2015.
- Keep 1 week to 1 month difference between the date you choose and the day your app version became outdated.
- Change year or month only if necessary. If you'll make large differences, WhatsApp will display a message showing that your system date is incorrect. So keep this thing in your mind.
Effects on other apps
It's obvious that changing system settings will affect other applications data also due to which some of the apps may not work properly or misbehave. This is the main disadvantage of using this trick.
In my case, when I visited Google homepage via Google Chrome app, below privacy note is displayed -
Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from www.google.co.in (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).
When I visited few more HTTPS enabled sites, same message is displayed and I concluded that it is due to the expiration of SSL certificate. Speaking frankly, I don't know technical part here but to rectify this problem I just changed my date and again it starts working as normal.
In the same way, If you also face similar problems after using this trick, please undo all changes and instead of this, download the latest version of WhatsApp.
Don't choose simplest path always. Learn new things and try it in a different way. Just give a one try to this and enjoy using WhatsApp in outdated version. This trick is applicable on all major platforms ( i.e., on Android, Windows or iOS) . Finally If you've any questions or doubt regarding this topic, please let me know in below comment box. Is there any other way you know? Love and Blessings !